Editor's Note: This is a developing story and details might change after our initial publishing time.

This is such a sad sight to see. Li'l Porgy's, located at 1917 W. Springfield in Champaign, appears to have suffered a terrible fire last night. Here are some photos posted, shared to Spotted in Chambana this morning. It looks like it is pretty terrible, though thankfully the building did not burn down. Thankfully, no one was hurt.

Here is a release about the fire from the City of Champaign, emphasis mine:

Commercial Fire – 1917 W Springfield Avenue

The Champaign Fire Department responded to a fire at Li’l Porgy’s, 1917 W Springfield Avenue, Saturday, April 3, at 5:52 a.m.  Fire crews quickly extinguished the fire that began in a commercial cooking pit. 

Firefighters responded to multiple reports of a fire inside the restaurant.  Once on the scene, fire crews reported a fire in the commercial cooking pit that was extending to the roof from the exhaust flue.  Firefighters deployed multiple hose lines and quickly extinguished the fire mostly contained to that cooking appliance.     

The cause of this fire is accidental.  There were no firefighter or occupant injuries reported.

Li'l Porgy's downsized a couple of summers ago from two locations to one, this being the lone remaining one they have in C-U. Wood N Hog's first brick and mortar location opened in the former Porgy's space in Urbana.


Image by Tony Bruno.

Image by Tony Bruno.

Image by Tony Bruno.

Image by Tony Bruno.

Champaign Fire Department tweeted this just about an hour ago:

Top image by Tony Bruno.