We're in the market for a Food & Drink editor. Our longtime F&D editor, Jessica Hammie, will be vacating the position to work on other Smile Politely projects as Managing Editor.
While being an editor involves actual writing and editing of content, this position functions more like a producer or curator than a straightforward copy editor. We’re looking for candidates who are, above all else, interested in and excited about exploring the food and drink scene in C-U. You’ll need to be organized and motivated, but this should be fun, too!
Some components of being the Food & Drink Editor at Smile Politely include, but aren't limited to:
- Curating the section each week with articles from writers, as well as producing articles of your own
- Writing the monthly “Five things to eat or drink in C-U” column
- Contributing to the SPlog each week, posting about food and drink
- Contributing food and drink content to the Weekender each week
- Staying up on local food trends, restaurants, bars, and food/drink events
- Recruiting writers to contribute to the section, as well as the magazine on the whole
Editors receive a modest stipend, but the best candidates are those who are engaged with the local community, interested in perpetuating this component of C-U's culture within the magazine, and generally excited to be involved with SP as a community journalism project.
If this sounds like a good fit, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Food & Drink Editor Applicant." Please include a resume, writing samples, and any other information you think is relevant. If you don't have writing samples, that’s okay — send us an email with some information about your writing interests.
Thanks for taking the time!