We're looking for a new Arts Editor here at Smile Politely. While being an Editor involves actual editing of content — this position requires much more of a producer mindset than straight-forward copy editing.
Some components of being an Editor at Smile Politely include, but aren't limited to:
- Curating the section each week and producing content of your own as well as writers
- Interested and in-tune with theater, musicals, fine arts, literature, galleries, community arts organizations, and everything in between in C-U
- Recruiting writers to contribute to the section, as well as the magazine on the whole
- Contributing to the SPlog each week, posting about a variety of subjects relevant to Champaign-Urbana
- Contributing to the Weekender each week
- Participating in Editor's meetings each month
There's a little bit of money on the table as an Editor, but the best candidates are ones that are engaged with the local arts community, interested in perpetutating this component of C-U's culture within the magazine, recruiting writers, and one generally excited to be involved with the magazine as a community journalism project.
If you're interested, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Arts Editor Applicant", as well as any relevant information about yourself, a resume, and any writing samples you might have. If you don't have writing samples, that's totally OK too.
Thanks for taking the time!