Those warm temps are creeping in, and soon it will be time to start to bring your yard and landscaping back to life. As you trim and plant and mow and clear things out, keep these dates and guidelines in mind for yard waste pick up:
All residences in the Orange Zone should put materials out by 6:00 a.m. on Monday, April 8, and Monday, May 13, 2019. All residences in the Blue Zone should put materials out by 6:00 a.m. on Monday, April 15, and Monday, May 20, 2019.
Residents will also notice that the “one zone per weekday (O1-O5 and B1-B5)” collection has been changed for spring collection. Instead, crews will begin picking up materials on Monday of the scheduled week and work through the zone on consecutive days until all materials are collected. If materials have not been collected by Thursday of your scheduled week, please contact the Public Works Department at 217-403-4700 to report.
- The collection is available to all residential properties within the Champaign city limits.
- Materials must be in 30-gallon paper yard waste bags. NO PLASTIC BAGS OR CONTAINERS
- Bags should be placed within 10 feet of the curbside, and five feet away from obstacles like: mailboxes, trees, telephone poles, and fire hydrants. Bags should be placed by 6:00 a.m. on the scheduled Monday to ensure pickup.
- Bags should contain leaves, grass clippings, and plant materials only. No rocks, glass, potted plants, mulch, or pet waste.
- Twigs and branches may be bundled with non-metallic twine or placed in paper yard waste bags. Branches cannot be larger than 2 inches in diameter and 3 1/2 feet long. Bundles cannot be larger than 18 inches in diameter.
Additional details about the program may be found by visiting champaignil.gov/yardwaste.
For residents outside the City, or for materials not fitting the above requirements, landscape materials may be taken (for a fee) to the Landscape Recycling Center at 1210 E. University Avenue in Urbana 217-344-5323.