Move in week is on the horizon for Champaign-Urbana, and to make our lives (and the students) a bit easier, the City of Champaign and Feed the Thing are hosting a Cardboard Dumpster Event as well as a donation event during move-in week.
From August 18-27, cardboard dumpsters will be placed all over campustown, allowing students and families to properly dispose of their cardboard. The dumpsters will be clearly labeled "cardboard only" and will be at the following locations:
- 300 E. Chalmers St. (meter spot #0319; near corner of E. Chalmers & S. Third)
- 400 E. Chalmers St. (meter spot #8410; near corner of E. Chalmers & S. Fifth)
- 500 S. Third St. (permit spot #40; in front of 512 S. Third St.)
- 100 E. Chalmers St. (meter spot #0324; near corner of E. Chalmers & S. First)
- 600 E. Clark St. (meter spot #0511; near corner of E. Clark & S. Sixth)
- 900 S. First St. (meter spot #0215; in front of 908 S. First St.)
Champaign residents not in the multifamily recycling program have curbside recycling collection available to them through their solid waste hauler as part of their basic service. Residents should contact their solid waste hauler directly for more information.
Additionally, there will also be a Reusable Donation event going on as well. The following items, locations, and organizations will be:
Instead of throwing away perfectly good, reusable items (including food), residents are encouraged to donate them to local not-for-profit agencies.
Clothes, furniture, home décor, electronics, appliances…if you no longer need them, let them find their way to someone who can use them! Some agencies will even pick up your items for free.
For a list of acceptable items and for donation details, call or check the agencies’ websites:
- Courage Connection, (217) 352-7151
- Eastern Illinois Foodbank, (217) 328-3663
- Goodwill, (217) 280-1870
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore, (217) 359-0507
- Salt & Light, (217) 355-5654
- Salvation Army Thrift Store, (217) 373-7825
- University YMCA, (217) 337-1500
Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.