The city has been looking at redevelopment possibilities for the stretch of Neil Street that runs from I-74 to Downtown Champaign, and they have created a final plan that will be presented to the Plan Commission on September 19th at 4 p.m. in City Council chambers. The plan contains six themes:
- Corridor Identity: The Neil Street corridor’s local and regional identity and character will be defined and celebrated during the planning process.
- Beautification: Through streetscape and roadway design, the Corridor appearance will be improved.
- Multi-modal Function and Safety: All modes of transportation will be accommodated in the corridor.
- Wayfinding: Accessibility and environmental communication will be prioritized for recommendations in the corridor.
- Entry Node/ Gateway: The corridor design will include an intentional point of entry and sense of arrival.
- Sustainability: All recommendations for the corridor will integrate sustainable strategies.